The boosters would be for more vulnerable adults, alongside frontline social care and health workers, in order to maintain their protection over the winter against severe COVID-19.
As in autumn 2021, the primary objective of the 2022 autumn booster programme will be to increase population immunity and protection against severe COVID-19, specifically hospitalisation and death, over the winter period.
The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation’s (JCVI’s) current view is that in autumn 2022, a COVID-19 vaccine should be offered to:
- residents in a care home for older adults and staff
- frontline health and social care workers
- all those 65 years of age and over
- adults aged 16 to 64 years who are in a clinical risk group
- The Practice will be inviting Patients in order of vulnerability following guidance from the JCVI.